The Government of India has set up Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE)on 1st March 2002 following the prerequisites of the Energy Conservation Act, 2001. The purpose of the Bureau of Energy Efficiency is to help in promoting policies and strategies with a push on self-regulation and market strategies, within the overall structure of the Energy Conservation Act, 2001 with the initial objective of diminishing the energy strength of the Indian economy.
This will be accomplished with the effective participation of all stakeholders, producing in the accelerated and continued confirmation of energy efficiency in all sectors.
Role Of Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE)
BEE co-ordinates with designated consumers, designated agencies, and other organizations and recognizes, identify and utilize the existing resources and infrastructure, in performing the functions assigned to it under the Energy Conservation Act. The Energy Conservation Act provides for regulatory and promotional functions.
The main motive behind the creation of this board is to promote and educate Retailers and customers to use Environment-Friendly appliances & Tools at their home/ offices/ Buildings/ Societies/ workplaces/ Heavy processing units and production units etc.
You must be wondering that what was the reason behind the formation of this separate Government body? There are many reasons because of that the Government of India formed this unique body to promote and educate the use of energy efficient products in India.
Since the formation, it has collaborated with many National and International agencies to learn and grow the need for energy efficient products, Setting up the standards for producing electronic products among manufacturing units.
It has introduced Star Ratings to display the energy efficiency of a product on a scale of 1 to 5 stars. The higher the star rating of the product is the more energy it will save for you and save your money on electricity bills. And also they dispense less harmful gasses into the atmosphere.Bureau of Energy Efficiency also develop energy efficiency codes for buildings and Industries and they are supposed to follow them.
Regulatory Functions of BEE
The Major Regulatory Functions of (Bureau of Energy Efficiency) BEE include-
- Develop least energy performance patterns and labeling design for tools and appliances (TV, Refrigeration, A/C etc)
- Promote precise Energy Conservation Building Codes
- Promote Projects focusing on selected users
- Promote special energy expenditure norms
- Verify Energy Managers and Energy Auditors
- Authorize Energy Auditors
- Describe the manner and periodicity of necessary energy audits
- Develop reporting formats on energy consumption and action used on the advice of the energy auditors
Promotional work of Bureau of Energy Efficiency India
The Main Promotional Functions of BEE are listed below:
- Create awareness and disseminate information on energy efficiency and conservation
- Arrange and coordinate training of employees and professionals in the techniques for effective use of energy and its conservation
- Strengthen consultancy services in the field of energy conservation
- Promote research and development
- Improve testing and certification methods and promote examination facilities
- Formulate and promote the implementation of pilot plans and presentation projects
- Promote the use of power efficient processes, tools, devices and systems
- Take necessary steps to promote preferred treatment for use of energy efficient equipment or appliances
- Support innovative funding of energy efficiency schemes
- Give financial support to organizations for encouraging efficient use of energy and its maintenance
- Prepare institutional curriculum on efficient use of energy and its conservation among school and college students
- Execute international co-operation plans relating to efficient use of energy and its conservation
What Is BEE Star Ratings?
As we already mentioned above, BEE star ratings are made mandatory by the Bureau of Energy Efficiency to display on the heavy appliances like Refrigerators, Air conditioners and Washing machines in India. By looking at those ratings on the products a buyer can judge the energy efficiency of the products very easily. Usually, you can find this BEE Star rating sticker sticking in front of the products. You can find a good Energy efficient Air Conditioner by referring to this BEE Star labels.
List Of Products Which Should Have BEE Ratings
Products Under BEE Labeling
|Product Name||BEE Rating Applicable|
|Air Condtioner ( Split AC, Inverter AC, Windows Ac )||Yes|
|Immersion Rod Heater||No|
|Juicer/Cold Compress Juicer||No|
|Robot Vacuum Cleaner||No|
|Home Theatre System||No|