Room air conditioner is a tool used primarily for reducing heat and moisture of air in a room. Its goal is to produce cooling comfort during the hot climate. It pushes heat from the surrounded space and releases it to the outside. Air conditioner (Through the outside unit of the A.C), once recognised as a luxury item, is now increasingly becoming an essential requirement in almost every households.
The prominence of a room air conditioner is increasing continuously enormously notwithstanding it consumes a large amount of electricity. In this article, we are going to discuss- How to choose Energy Efficient Air Conditioner . Normally, one AC of 1.5 Ton size may utilise power similar over the running of nearly 25 roof fans, and therefore can raise electricity charge in a household.
Energy Efficient Air Conditioner India
In actual life power cost for operating an AC depends upon it’s power performance as designed by the company, amount of working hours and how efficiently we run and maintain it.
Air Conditioning System Basics for higher power savings
Primary elements of the operation include a compressor, evaporator, condenser, and an extension device, related to the one of a family refrigerator. A refrigerant flows in those parts. It vaporizes in the evaporator grasping the temperature from the warm space air drawn over the evaporator roll.
This chills and dehumidifies the air in a room. The compressor increases the load and heat of the refrigerant gases. The condenser consolidates the refrigerant and then converts the high-pressure vapour into the huge-pressure fluid. Heat is refused via external air carried across the condenser. T
he extension mechanism converts the high-pressure and high-temperature fluid refrigerant to low strength low heat blend of refrigerant fluid and vapour. The refrigerant passes to the evaporator, and the cooling series remains active.
Types of Air conditioners-
1. Window air conditioner: This is usually utilised for freezing individual room/ chamber/ apartments. Room A/C houses all the elements of an air conditioning operation in one casing.
2. Split air conditioner: This consists of an outside metal cabinet that holds the condenser, condenser and fan, and compressor, including an indoor assembly that holds the evaporator and air handler. BEE Star Rating and Labeling of Air Conditioners to choose energy efficient air conditioner.
3. Inverter Air Conditioner : In inverter air conditoner an invter has bene there which control the speed of the compressor motor,which continously regulate the tempreture.The DC Inverter units have a variable-frequency drive that comprises an adjustable electrical inverter to control the speed of the electromotor, which means the compressor and the cooling / heating output.
In May 2006, Bureau of Energy Efficiency, a legal undertaking under Ministry of Power started Standard and Labeling Program of electrical house appliances including air conditioners.
Beneath this plan, for the benefit of common citizens, the product manufactures could optionally attach a Star Label on their Electrical products displaying the level of energy expenditure by the appliance both in terms of certain values as well as an equivalent number of stars ranging from one to five, in accordance with BEE requirement for energy efficient air conditioner unit.
The higher the number of stars on the label, The higher the product is energy efficient and lower its electricity consumption. Attaching BEE star label has been declared necessary for all the Energy saving Room ACs from January 2010. While choosing the air conditioner, do note to the BEE Star Rated Label affixed on the AC and also, refer to the Star Rating analysis supported by BEE from point to point within its web (www.beeindiain) and displays.
Energy Efficiency of Air Conditioner
The efficiency of an air conditioner is generally estimated as Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER), which is the rate of the cooling production, covered in British thermal units (Btu) Per hour, to the energy input to produce AC at regular grade forms. This indicates a bigger the EER, the more effective the energy efficient air conditioners is. EER is determined as The cooling ability rather of being denoted in Btu/hr is also denoted in Watts (1Btu/ hr = 0.293 Watts). Therefore EER is described as Watts/ Watts or as an amount without any units.
1.Choosing the Right Size of the Energy Efficient Air Conditioner window
Room air conditioners usually accessible in the store have cooling capabilities that range from 0.7 to 2 Tons. The essential cooling range for a room air conditioner mainly depends on the size of the room being cooled, separated from a few other circumstances.
An air conditioner that is too small may not do a great task of calming a room at the wanted temperature scale. An oversized system requires extra and may cool the cabin instantly however it may lead to lower moisture removal due to extreme on-off cycling which is not an Energy efficient air conditioner.
Experience shows that a small unit working for a long period works more efficiently and is also effective than a big unit that turns on and off excessively.
Major factors to admit when choosing the energy efficient air conditioner size of an air conditioner are room space, room length, the location of the room, the quantity of humans (man, women, children) likely to stay in that room, other electronic appliances being applied in room, window area, adjustment of windows and walls, shading, regional weather Though AC manufacturers do implement certain guidelines but it is desirable to seek specialist help as well, before deciding the size of AC So, these are the important factors which effects the Electricity efficient air conditioner selection.
Air conditioners usually do a better job of blowing air in one way than in the another. This can be an issue if the window is not centred on the surface. Uniformly cooling a room, it is necessary to deliver cooled air to its center, so verify whether AC requires to through air to the right or to the left when selecting an AC.If you need to install the energy efficient air conditioner on the narrow side of a huge room, then look for a blower controller in AC that guides the cooled air farther inside the room.
2.Save electricity by installing an AC unit in the right way
Pre-preparation before fixing air conditioner can conserve electricity and funds. The unit should be equalised when placed so that the internal trash system and other devices work perfectly.
If possible, the system should be installed in a shaded place of your home’s north or east front. Straight sunlight on the unit outside causes the efficiency by as many as ten percents. Consumers can plant trees to shadow the air conditioner, but do not obstruct the airflow. Make sure, upon the establishment and routine maintenance, that the system is well-packed from the outdoors. Air leakage nearby AC can endanger both convenience and efficiency.
Some Energy Saving Tips for air conditioner
• Use a ceiling fan to protect yourself from heat because at the cost of running one AC unit you can operate approx 25 fans.
• Keep the windows and doors of an air-conditioned room closed.
• Avoid outer air inflow: because the outdoor air is hotter and holds more heat and
moisture than the modified air and thus it raises electricity usage.
• Eliminate blocking to air passage to the unit. AC
works most efficiently during intake and release airflows are free from nearby
Set AC thermostat settings correctly:
An AC uses 3 to 5 per cent smaller energy for every degree set above 22°C, hence set AC’s thermostat at a temperature as vast as is conveniently possible (25 – 26°C) in the summertime. Smaller the distinction between the indoor and outdoor heats, lower will be the power consumption.
• Think using an internal ceiling fan in connection with your AC to circulate the cooled air more efficiently within the room. Using a fan enables you to set the thermostat heat large and thus decreases the energy consumption.
• Avoid placing lamps, televisions or other electric devices near AC. Because these type of electrical instruments generate heat and can eventually affect the cooling capacity of the AC.
• Make sure to install the out unit of the Air conditioner in a shadow place it will help you save electricity.
• Provide service on a regular basis to your AC units and make sure that the AC filters are clean. Because a dirty one can cause in lower airflow and you will eventually end up in guiding your AC to operate on lower temperature rates.
• Regularly clean the outdoor coils when they are dusty especially in a storm and rainy seasons. You may see a lower efficiency of your AC units when its coil is dustily surrounded by dust.
• Always Make sure upon installation and regular maintenance that the Unit is well sealed and none of the parts/ screws is missing from your energy efficient air conditioner.
• Give the annual maintenance contract of AC directly to the manufacturer or its authorizedcompany which has trained and well-qualified technical staff.
• Regularly insist that the support specialist measures total prevailing represented by AC. Greater the prevailing value higher is the electricity consumption.